Thursday, January 2, 2014

Starting the New Year Right!

With fabric of course!  My favourite fabric shop - The Running Stitch - is having their January Sale so off I went this morning with a generous gift certificate from my son.   I had a list but sometimes I am just captured by colour.  I did try to stay within certain colourways since I have a few projects in mind.  I purchased a Gloria Loughman online class on Craftsy before the holidays and I want to work on it this winter.   I also wanted to do a winter themed piece since I tend to shy away from them (not sure why).  But you won't see too many winter colours in this pile of fabric!   I seem to be drawn towards combinations of blues, orange, and purple recently.  I also purchased some fabric to make bags for my work as it travels to shows.   And I am planning on making more fabric beads and pendants.


And now I'm editing my post because I almost forgot to show you the yummy yarns and rovings I bought from Wooltime earlier this week.



New Year's Resolutions?   I have no resolutions to speak of but I will continue to organize and de clutter.   My theme in the past year has been to strive to take care of business (both house business and quilt business).   I got rid of lots of large objects that were stored in my basement, I purchased a furnace protection plan, completed some repairs to my home, traded my aging vehicle, and am working on organizing cupboards - all with the idea that the less I have to worry about the more I can be creative. 

I think it is a good thing to reflect on the year just past and see where we are at.  In 2013, I took part in two successful  shows in Ottawa plus a group exhibit at the local library  My colour challenge piece was exhibited at Wabi Sabi, Fibre Fling and Fibre Fest.  I had a piece in the 'Sacred Threads' exhibition.  I opened my ETSY shop at the end of November.  I am moving forward.

My Tree piece for the SAQA Trunk show is on its way and I plan to enter pieces in a 'Prairie' themed show and  Quilt Canada.   We have a spring show coming up with Out of the Box as well.   I want to keep entering shows but  I am trying to be careful to not take on too much, to pace myself, play, and spend time with friends.    'Living Simply' is my underlying long term goal.

IF I had a resolution (which I don't:) it would be to be more active physically.  Last year was a difficult one healthwise - nothing life threatening but just things that prevented me from exercising a lot.    It didn't stop me from dancing the night away on New Year's Eve.......I think I'll just keep dancing into 2014........

And here's a picture of Dru wearing her christmas necklace (not for long:)



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful looking goodies! and congratulations with keeping momentum on the the things you want to do. I am currently working on Gloria's class. It is very interesting and helping me greatly on my colour theory. Make sure you blog about your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy hearing your comments.